How To Get Building Plans For Your House,To.Free Download Home

How to Get Building plans?

Plans For Building / December 26, 2022

Learn how to request copies of building plans, building and development permits, and property records (including outstanding bylaw orders, zoning, approved use, issued permits, and more).

Building plans

The City typically has building plans for work done under permits for most commercial buildings, condos, and one- and two-family dwellings constructed since 1979.

You can access or get digital copies of your plans in PDF file format at our Development and Building Services Centre (contact on this page). Copies of plans are for reference only.

What the plans will show

Submission requirements for building permit plans have changed over time. As a result, some sets of plans are less comprehensive, and may not include various structural or mechanical drawings. We can't guarantee that the information you need will appear on the plans.

Plans for apartments or condo complexes may not contain drawings for individual units. Often, only a typical plan of each floor will be submitted. Suites are usually not identified by their unit number on these typical floor plans, although there may be drawings of specific unit types.


Service Fee
Access to plans $37.00
Digital copies, per plan $10.20

You can pay by cash, debit card, Visa, Mastercard, and cheque (payable to City of Vancouver). Debit and credit card payments are only accepted in person. A $35.00 service fee applies to returned cheques. Fees may change without notice.

Check if we have the plans you need

Phone 3-1-1 (604-873-7000 outside Vancouver) to ask if we have the plans for your building. Staff will search for your plans and call you back.

Get permission

Only current registered owners may access and get copies of plans for their building, in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Registered owners can authorize a representative to access plans and get copies on their behalf.

Strata unit owners need permission from their strata council or property management company to access plans.

Bring the required documents when you access the plans

When you come to the Development and Building Services Centre, bring the required documents, identification, and payment.

Owner of a strata unit or their representative? Bring these documents:

  1. Application form for strata buildings (120 KB)
  2. Letter of consent, signed by one of the following:
  3. Strata council president, plus a copy of recent council meeting minutes that confirms the president's name
  4. Director or principal of the property management company, printed on company letterhead
  5. Your photo ID

Owner of a non-strata building or their representative? Bring these documents:

  1. Application form for non-strata buildings (120 KB)
  2. For the owner's representative: Owner's authorization form, signed by the owner (80 KB)

Get copies of plans

The wait time to get:

  • Up to 10 copies is up to two business days
  • Over 10 copies is up to three business days
  • Permits

    Copies of permits are available in person for a fee at the Development and Building Services Centre (contact on this page).

    Up to 3 copies $49.50
    Additional copy $9.70

    File research letters about property information and bylaw compliance

    Need a detailed search of City records for a specific property? Ask for a file research letter.

    What file research letters show

    File research letters may include the following property information and records:

  • Outstanding orders from violations of these bylaws:
  • Zoning and Development Bylaw
  • Vancouver Building Bylaw (includes plumbing)
  • Electrical Bylaw
  • Standards of Maintenance Bylaw
  • Untidy Premises Bylaw
  • Sign Bylaw
  • Parking Bylaw
  • Current zoning
  • Approved use of the building or a specific portion
  • Issued permits without final inspection approval
  • Pending permit applications
  • Current business licence
  • Heritage significance
  • Marijuana grow operation records
  • Compliance with yard and setback requirements (when you provide recent, sealed survey plan with your request)
  • For property records about:

  • Property taxes, utilities, site contamination, underground oil storage tanks, fire inspection results, phone 3-1-1.
  • Public health inspection results, phone Vancouver Coastal Health at 604-675-3800.
  • File research for one- and two-family dwellings $217.00
    File research for all other buildings $436.00
    File research for environmental information $224.00